These past couple weeks have seemed to be very work intensive. I didn’t think coming up with a project was going to be as hard it was. I was going through all different blogs and wikis from past contributors. When I first was thinking about my project, I thought I wanted to focus on something school related, but after looking at other blogs and going through life blogs I follow outside of class, I thought I want to challenge myself and do something out of my comfort zone. I always have the idea that I want to create a life blog, but I felt like my life wasn’t interesting enough to share. My idea came from Loverlygrey blog, where she shared about trying new products. I knew that I wouldn’t want to try a new product (I wouldn’t have any sponsors to send me things to try), but try and document trying a new activity. My fiancé has always been a good cook, and I always wish I could make something for him. This is where I came up with my project to create a cooking blog.
My plan right now is to come up with delicious meals that are EASY to make. When I say I’m not a good cook is not an understatement. I have caused more than one kitchen fire and blew up a microwave ( I forgot to put water in an instant soup meal). I am the kind of person that I need to follow a recipe to the exact detail. I don’t like when I find meal that looks good and the directions are very vague
“you’ll need chicken, milk, pasta, and sauce” – how much? What kind?
“cook the chicken” –how long? When do I know it’s done? Can I overcook/undercook it?
“put in some spices”- What kind of spices? How much? What is a pinch/dash?
Things I worked on this week:
- I submitted my project proposal on my wiki page. ProjectProposalJeannaToninato
- I created my blog that is attached to my student blog. They are separate blogs, but they are on the same email. I didn’t know you could do this. Cooking with Jeanna
- A huge issue I have had is creating new pages under the blog portion. I had a very tough time creating new pages under blog. I thought I really understood how to use WordPress, and using the admin page, but I really struggled to figure it out. I tried making more pages on the menu, but every time I would add new pages to my blogs and try to post a blog post to only one page, it would show up on all of them!! FRUSTRATING!!!! After struggling with it on my own, I finally looked up Word Press Support and used my WordPress manual to figure it out. I had to add categories to the blog page when you write a post. Once I did that, then I could make children labels under blog in the menu customizer to have each week show up separately.
- I made a blog roll on my blog and added all the blogs and websites I will be using for my project. The blog roll will grow once I have more sources and blogs.
- I also started looking into my first recipe week. My first week will be pasta. So far, I’ve looked at blogs especially the The Pioneer Woman to look for simple pasta recipes.
On my list to figure out is how to get images from my phone on to my blog posts without them getting too big to have a long post.
I’m excited to build my cooking blog and hopefully my cooking skills build (or stick even a little bit). My fiancé is excited that I took this class. He said “Whatever gets you in the kitchen, works for me. Don’t be offended that I’ll be watching to make sure you don’t start a fire” That seems promising right?!